After blaze, Yarde Tavern set to re-open this week

  • The Yarde Tavern in South Hadley. GOOGLE MAPS

Staff Writer
Published: 4/15/2019 4:05:23 PM

SOUTH HADLEY — The popular South Hadley pub the Yarde Tavern remains closed after a Thursday evening fire above the restaurant but is set to re-open sometime this week.

No one was injured in the fire, which occurred at around 6:30 p.m., but six residents of the Hadley Street building remained displaced as of Monday, according to South Hadley Public Information Officer Michael O’Neill.

“Everything in the restaurant is OK,” said Marco Carreira, a chef and general manager at the Yarde Tavern. “Obviously, there is some water damage, but that will get fixed, and I don’t want to open the restaurant on the tavern side just to open. I just want to get things done right the first time — that way, we can open both the tavern and dining side.”

Carreira said that no specific date has been determined for the re-opening.

The fire originated from an unattended pan on a cooking stove in an apartment above the restaurant, according to South Hadley Fire District 2 Lt. Ryan Moore. Firefighters were able to put out the blaze in about 20 minutes.

The tavern was operating business as usual when fire alarms went off and a tenant ran downstairs for a fire extinguisher, Carreira said. Carreira went upstairs to assist and immediately called for the restaurant to be evacuated upon seeing the flames.

The Yarde Tavern was not touched by the blaze itself, Carreira said, but water damage led to the restaurant’s temporary closure. The vast majority of the damage is in the front hallway and extends slightly into the dining room and tavern areas. 

“Being one of the oldest buildings in town, we’re lucky it all didn’t go up,” Carreira said. “The colonial structure withstood what it was supposed to do, and with all that super old lumber it’s amazing they were able to contain the fire just to the kitchen.”

Carreira praised the fire department for arriving “within minutes” and keeping the blaze contained. 

“Chief Brady, Asst. Chief Calkins, they were outstanding, and the whole South Hadley fire department … they should be commended a lot for what they do,” he said. 

The displaced residents are being assisted by the Red Cross, according to O’Neill. 

Jacquelyn Voghel can be reached at 

Daily Hampshire Gazette Office

115 Conz Street
Northampton, MA 01061


Copyright © 2019 by H.S. Gere & Sons, Inc.
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy