Northampton man charged with choking, restraining ex-girlfriend

  • Kevin McDonald in Hampshire Superior Court in 2016. FILE PHOTO

Staff Writer
Published: 6/3/2020 2:06:38 PM

NORTHAMPTON — A city man with a lengthy criminal history was ordered held without bail in court Monday after he allegedly tried to strangle his ex-girlfriend, tied her up with a belt and held her against her will for about four hours last Sunday night.

Kevin J. McDonald, 47, was ordered held by Judge Maureen Walsh following a dangerousness hearing via a teleconference in Northampton District Court. He pleaded not guilty to charges of kidnapping; strangulation or suffocation, subsequent offense; and assault and battery on a family/household member, subsequent offense. McDonald was represented by attorney Daniel Carey.

Northampton police officers responded to Hampshire Heights at 241 Jackson St. at around 10 p.m. on Sunday, for a report of a woman who was choked by her ex-boyfriend, according to court documents. The woman told officers she had been held against her will by McDonald; officers noticed red marks on her neck and she refused medical attention.

The alleged victim told police she had been doing personal care assistant work for a woman with whom she went to Hampshire Heights with to pick up money she was owed. When they arrived at the housing complex, McDonald was inside the woman’s apartment, according to police. McDonald asked the alleged victim to speak with him in the kitchen, and when she did, McDonald allegedly told her he still loved her. The alleged victim tried to leave, but McDonald reportedly put his hands around her neck for about 10 seconds to the point she was having trouble breathing, according to a police report filed in court.

McDonald and the two women eventually got into a car and drove to Florence to meet with a person who had the alleged victim’s money. The woman the alleged victim was doing PCA work for got into a car with her friend and left the alleged victim at the scene with McDonald.

It was then when McDonald allegedly took his belt and wrapped it around the alleged victim’s arms, according to the police report. An unidentified driver then drove McDonald and the woman to an apartment at the Walter Salvo House at 81 Conz St. at around 6 p.m., where McDonald reportedly took the belt off of her arms and told the alleged victim to go inside with him.

After a half-hour of verbal arguments, McDonald allowed the alleged victim to charge her phone. McDonald allegedly told the alleged victim “no f----ing games, I mean it you’re staying with me,” according to the police report. When she told McDonald she wasn’t playing games, he allegedly smacked her with an open hand to her face.

The alleged victim told police she made up a lie to get away from McDonald and escaped, police said. She then met up with her husband and they called the police.

McDonald, who was confrontational when talking with police, denied the alleged victim was held against her will, court documents state. During his arrest, he also denied using the belt, suffocating and striking her, police said.

In 2018, McDonald was sentenced to three years in state prison for punching another former girlfriend and stealing her wallet. McDonald was sentenced to three years in state prison in 2016 for suffocating his mother and assaulting another man with a knife.

McDonald is due back in court on July 10.

Michael Connors can be reached at mconnors@gazettenet.com.


Daily Hampshire Gazette Office

115 Conz Street
Northampton, MA 01061
413-584-5000

 

Copyright © 2020 by H.S. Gere & Sons, Inc.
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy