After blasts, Massachusetts orders natural gas safety review

  • Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker tours 35 Chickering St., where a young man was killed during a gas explosion in Lawrence, Mass, Friday, Sept. 14, 2018. Investigators worked Friday to pinpoint the cause of a series of fiery natural gas explosions that killed a teen driver in his car just hours after he got his license. AP PHOTO/Mark Garfinkel

Published: 9/26/2018 4:09:16 PM

BOSTON — Massachusetts regulators are calling for an outside review of the state’s natural gas distribution system in the wake of gas explosions and fires that affected three communities earlier this month.

The Department of Public Utilities said Wednesday it would name an “independent evaluator” to conduct a statewide assessment of both the physical integrity of the system and the policies and practices of companies that distribute natural gas.

The agency says the companies themselves will be required to pay for the study under an emergency declaration issued by Republican Gov. Charlie Baker after the Sept. 13 disaster. The blasts in Lawrence, Andover and North Andover killed one person, injured some 25 others and damaged or destroyed dozens of homes and businesses.

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the cause.


Jobs



Support Local Journalism


Subscribe to the Daily Hampshire Gazette, your leading source for news in the Pioneer Valley.


Daily Hampshire Gazette Office

115 Conz Street
Northampton, MA 01061
413-584-5000

 

Copyright © 2020 by H.S. Gere & Sons, Inc.
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy