Easthampton man charged in attack on father held as dangerous

Hampshire County Courthouse

Hampshire County Courthouse GAZETTE FILE PHOTO


Staff Writer

Published: 04-02-2024 9:09 AM

NORTHAMPTON — An Easthampton man accused of assaulting his disabled father and holding him hostage during a night of terror will remain incarcerated without the right to bail following a dangerousness hearing in Hampshire Superior Court last week.

Judge Edward McDonough ruled in the case of Kevin Pardee that there were no conditions of release that could keep the alleged victim or the public safe.

The judge cited Pardee’s lack of self-control, with a criminal record that includes repeated violations of abuse prevention orders, three convictions for assault and battery, and one conviction for intimidating a witness.

Pardee, 37, has pleaded not guilty to 11 charges, including felony counts of kidnapping, strangulation, four counts of assault and battery on an elderly or disabled person, assault and battery as well as assault with a dangerous weapon, and intimidation of a witness, along with two misdemeanor counts of malicious destruction of property.

He was indicted by a grand jury Feb. 29 after pleading not guilty to the charges in Northampton District Court in December.

At last week’s dangerousness hearing, Assistant District Attorney Matthew Russo said Pardee’s father, Gerry, was in fear for his life during the December assault, which stemmed from a dispute over something he had said over the phone to his son’s estranged girlfriend, according to a police report.

Gerry Pardee, 71, who walks with a cane and uses a pacemaker, told police his son knocked him to the ground. After ordering him to sit at the kitchen table, he said, his son stabbed the table with a knife and started questioning him. If he didn’t like the answers, he would punch his father, which Russo said he did nine or 10 times. He then allegedly choked his father, stabbed his cellphone, destroyed the house phones so he couldn’t call for help and only allowed him to go to bed if he made certain promises.

Gerry Pardee was able to leave the house the next morning and went straight to the Easthampton Police Department.

Article continues after...

Yesterday's Most Read Articles

Guest columnist Carrie Foley: Public school budgets force private choices
Hampshire Mall sells for fraction of assessed value at $7M
2024 EHS valedictorian Moira Larson in running for national Distinguished Young Women title
Belchertown athletic director Jen Gouvin moving on after 5½ years
A doctor’s boarders: Dr. Jessica Bossie’s mission to help the homeless find the right house
Easthampton’s LaBombard named clerk of the year

Russo said Kevin Pardee has a lengthy history of assaultive and threatening behavior and has violated his probation numerous times.

Gerry Pardee suffered significant bruising from the assault, Russo said, but he doesn’t want his son jailed and is not in fear of him. Prosecutors, however, don’t believe there are conditions that can assure his safety.

Defense attorney Daniel Bergin asked for his client to be released on $20,000 bail, saying Pardee has no memory of the alleged assault.

“This was a blackout,” Bergin said.

He has always lived with his dad, Bergin said. If released on bail, he said, Pardee would live with his girlfriend and could find work at one of his brothers’ four Subway franchises.

McDonough told the attorneys that self-control is a touchstone for him in deciding dangerousness.

In rejecting bail, the judge took note of Gerry Pardee’s wishes that his son be released, but ruled that they were “not material.”

James Pentland can be reached at jpentland@gazettenet.com.