Car fire damages garage in Cushman section of Amherst

  • STOCK PHOTO

Staff Writer
Published: 7/17/2018 4:36:02 PM

AMHERST — A garage at a home in the Cushman section of Amherst sustained minor damage when a car parked inside it caught on fire Tuesday morning.

Amherst Assistant Fire Chief Lindsay Stromgren said firefighters were sent to the 468 Pine St. home at 11:07 a.m. after tenants reported smoke detectors sounding and saw smoke coming out from the garage, located in the basement level of the residence.

Firefighters opened the doors to the garage and found the vehicle on fire. The vehicle was extinguished, but was already destroyed, Stromgren said.

“Fortunately the fire did not involve the structure,” Stromgren said.

The walls in the garage were charred and the garage door and its mechanisms were damaged. Stromgren anticipated that the tenants would be able to stay in the home after fire and building inspectors completed their work.

Stromgren said the two people in the rental home, built in 2009, had walked to nearby Cushman Market & Cafe, and called in the fire when they returned.

“They noticed the detectors going off, but they didn’t try to open the doors to see what was happening,” Stronmgren said.

While the department responds to occasional car fires, Stromgren said this was unusual in that the vehicle had apparently been parked for several hours.

No injuries occurred during the incident.

Two additional medical calls came during the time firefighters were at the Pine Street home, where work wrapped up at 12:30 p.m. Stromgren said one of these calls was handled by a mutual aid ambulance.




Daily Hampshire Gazette Office

115 Conz Street
Northampton, MA 01061
413-584-5000

 

Copyright © 2021 by H.S. Gere & Sons, Inc.
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy