WMass boys soccer: Belchertown blanks Mahar in Division 3 quarterfinal

Staff Writer
Published: 11/8/2019 10:06:27 PM
Modified: 11/8/2019 10:06:14 PM

LUDLOW — The Belchertown boys soccer team scored early and often during frigid conditions to beat Mahar, 5-0, in the Western Massachusetts Division 3 quarterfinals at Lusitano Stadium, Friday.

The third-seeded Orioles (9-4-6) scored at 38 minutes, 9 seconds of the first half on a goal by Nathaniel Schiffer then again five minutes later to pull ahead quickly against the No. 6 Senators (14-3-3).

“That’s what we kind of talked about,” Belchertown coach Zach Siano said. “If we can get a couple early, we’ll beat them down a little bit. They should have beat us the first go-around.”

The Orioles and Senators played to a 1-1 draw during the regular season.

“We had to knock out any confidence they had going forward,” Siano said. “To score two minutes into the game, it’s a big boost. To get a couple others pretty quickly definitely set the tone for the rest of the day.”

Belchertown will meet the winner of Saturday’s noon quarterfinal between No. 2 Pope Francis (13-3-2) and No. 7 Southwick (10-6-3) next week in the semifinals.

Tony Martel (three saves) did not have to make a save until the second half.

“We have four games left,” Siano said. “Our whole goal going into this was to play five games. Just have to build off this momentum and go forward against a great team.”

Hunter LePage assisted on Schiffer’s opening goal. Shay O’Neill scored Belchertown’s second goal on a rebound after a corner kick.

Ethan Czaporowski gave the Orioles a 3-0 lead on an assist from Joseph Bianco.

Zach Lajeunesse’s goal sent the Orioles into the intermission leading 4-0.

Nathan Davis scored a late second-half goal on a header off a corner kick by Schiffer.

Mount Greylock 7, Easthampton 0 — The top-seeded Mounties led 2-0 at the half, but pulled away after the break to advance to the Western Massachusetts Division 3 semifinals.

Eagles goalie Zack Kugler made five tough saves before Emi Soza-Foias’ hard shot just inside the box deflected off an Easthampton defender for a 1-0 lead.

“We talked about keeping them off the board as long as we could and getting that chance,” Eagles coach Mike Soucy told The Berkshire Eagle. “The first goal they scored was unfortunately off a deflection after our goalie had made several fantastic stops.”

Mount Greylock (14-2-1) will play the winner of Sunday’s 3 p.m. quarterfinal between No. 5 Hampshire Regional (9-4-4) and No. 4 Wahconah (13-5-0) in Dalton. The semifinal will be held next week.

The eighth-seeded Eagles finished 10-6-3.

Three straight goals by Toby Foehl gave the Mounties a 4-0 lead.

Kugler made 15 saves.


Support Local Journalism

Subscribe to the Daily Hampshire Gazette, your leading source for news in the Pioneer Valley.

Daily Hampshire Gazette Office

115 Conz Street
Northampton, MA 01061


Copyright © 2020 by H.S. Gere & Sons, Inc.
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy