Fire above Yarde Tavern in South Hadley displaces 6

  • The Yarde Tavern in South Hadley. GOOGLE MAPS—

Published: 4/12/2019 8:41:35 AM

SOUTH  HADLEY — A fire broke out Thursday evening in an apartment above the Yarde Tavern on Hadley Street. 

An unattended pan on a cooking stove was determined to be the cause of the fire, according to South Hadley public information officer Michael O'Neill. 

“There’s extensive damage to the second-floor apartment and some water damage to the restaurant downstairs,” O'Neill said.

Firefighters got the call around 6:30 p.m., and it took them about 20 minutes to put out the flames. They were there until midnight for an investigation and cleanup.

South Hadley Fire District No. 2 Lt. Ryan Moore said that smoke could be seen coming out of the apartment on the department’s arrival. He said the cooking fire was knocked down in a matter of minutes.

“Stand by your pan,” was Moore’s advice.

Six people were displaced last night and are being helped by the Red Cross, O’Neill said.

South Hadley Fire District No. 1 was also on scene and the Granby Fire Department filled South Hadley Fire District No. 2’s station coverage.




Daily Hampshire Gazette Office

115 Conz Street
Northampton, MA 01061
413-584-5000

 

Copyright © 2020 by H.S. Gere & Sons, Inc.
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy