Man who fled state in 2019 arraigned on slew of charges

Gavel and scales

Gavel and scales Creatas


Staff Writer

Published: 06-13-2024 1:57 PM

NORTHAMPTON — A man who was facing numerous charges in Hampshire Superior Court when he removed his GPS tracking device and left the state in August 2019 was arraigned Wednesday on an outstanding misdemeanor larceny charge.

Rene Garcia-Alvarado, 25, is already being held on $100,000 bail stemming from a 2022 case in Eastern Hampshire District Court, where he is charged with forcible rape of a child, witness intimidation and two counts of assault and battery. He was arraigned on those charges May 15.

Assistant District Attorney Andrew Covington told Judge Karen Goodwin that Garcia-Alvarado, after fleeing Massachusetts, was convicted of new crimes and imprisoned in Ohio. He was returned to Massachusetts authorities after serving his time in Ohio.

Covington said he has filed a motion to revoke Garcia-Alvarado’s bail on the other charges he faces from 2019. He was indicted by a Hampshire County grand jury in April 2019 on charges including larceny from a building, breaking and entering in the nighttime for a felony, assault with a dangerous weapon, armed assault to rob, carrying a firearm without a license, witness intimidation and a felony charge of vandalism. The charges are contained in four separate court dockets.

Goodwin adopted the joint request of Covington and defense attorney Jonah Goldsmith that bail be set at $500 on the larceny charge. Garcia-Alvarado’s next court appearance was set for Sept. 10.

Yesterday's Most Read Articles

Music in the sky: Summit House Sunset Concert Series returns to its 173-year-old home
Knitters’ paradise: Webs, ‘America’s Yarn Store’ and a mainstay for Valley crafters for generations, turns 50
Taylor Haas takes the reins as new executive director at Three County Fairgrounds
Easthampton to lose Pepin school gymnasium as public recreation space
Inspector promoted to lead Northampton Building Department
Elements Massage studio in Hadley abruptly closes after state order