Daily Hampshire Gazette - Established 1786
Hi 16° | Lo -9°

Thomas Rhodes of Shutesbury pleads not guilty to multiple charges involving assault with a crowbar

— State and local police swarmed on Woodbine Avenue early Friday morning amid reports of an assault involving a crowbar and a rifle.

Thomas Rhodes, 27, of 38 Montague Road, Shutesbury, was arrested following that incident and pleaded not guilty Friday to multiple charges stemming from it in Northampton District Court.

Rhodes faces two charges of assault with a dangerous weapon, and one charge each of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, domestic assault with a dangerous weapon and disturbing the peace while armed, all involving the same crowbar.

He was released on his own recognizance on the condition he stay away from the alleged victims.

According to police, at about 1:24 a.m., all available officers were dispatched to 13 Woobine Ave. for a report of a domestic disturbance in progress involving a crowbar and firearm.

According to police, when Rhode’s ex-girlfriend and some of her friends arrived at the apartment building, Rhodes was in the driveway brandishing the crowbar and threatening the occupants of the vehicle with it.

According to witness statements in court records, Rhodes followed the group home from the bar they were at earlier.

David Kalinowski, a resident of the building, heard the commotion and came downstairs to help remove Rhodes from the area, according to police.

Kalinowski retrieved a .50 caliber black powder muzzle loader rifle from his vehicle and confronted Rhodes, who allegedly struck him in the chest with the crowbar, according to court files.

Kalinowski retaliated by allegedly striking Rhodes in the head with the rifle, in an effort to defend himself and the occupants of the vehicle.

Due to the reports of a firearm being involved, officers cleared the street and set a perimeter around the building. State police troopers with search dogs arrived to sweep the area and search for any additional weapons.

Rhodes and Kalinowski were both placed into custody at gunpoint before being questioned by police, according to court records.

Kalinowski told police he retrieved the rifle from his own vehicle when Rhodes threatened him with the crowbar, according to police.

Rhodes allegedly refused to leave when asked and began striking the car with the crowbar, police said, before Kalinowski intervened.

Kalinowski was determined to be acting in self-defense and no charges are pending, according to Northampton Police Capt. Scott A. Savino.

Rhodes is due back in court on Dec. 19 for a pre-trial hearing.

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.