A Look Back
50 Years Ago
∎ Fifty sub-bids were opened today in City Hall for various sections of work connected with the Florence Junior High School. They sounded for the most part like good bids, according to an official of the M.A. Dyer co. of Boston, architects for the junior high school.
∎ An overheated oil stove was blamed today for a fire that gutted the Auction Center at 407 South St. last night. There has been no estimate of the damage, though it is thought to be in the thousands of dollars, since many antique pieces were destroyed by the fire. The building was formerly known as the Barbecue Restaurant.
25 Years Ago
∎ A spelling bee sparked several minutes of debate last night among School Committee members, who voted to delay for one year a decision on whether to participate in the bee sponsored by the Gazette. Some members argued against participation because they felt spelling bees place too much pressure on children below high school age.
∎ Florence Congregational Church has a new minister, Leonard J. Capobianco. A native of Philadelphia, Pa., he has recently been serving a church in Lake Geneva, Wisc.
10 Years Ago
∎ Gov. Mitt Romney, targeting what he called “outdated 1950’s style bureaucracy,” announced Monday he will close 36 human service offices statewide, a move he said would save $2.3 million. The move is one piece of the governor’s plan to restructure the state’s 16 Health and Human Services agencies.
∎ Bob’s King St. Mobil and the attached On The Run convenience store has closed. A handwritten sign on the front of the store said Tuesday morning, “Sorry, we’re close, Thank you for your patronage, T.R.”