Fire marshal’s office: Cliffside Apartments fire caused by unattended cooking

  • Amherst firefighters carry pet rats out of Cliffside Apartments Wednesday, after a fire broke out in the M building of the Amherst Road complex. Recorder Staff/Andy Castillo

  • South Deerfield firefighters at Cliffside Apartments Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2017 for reports of fire.

  • Greenfield Fire Chief Robert Strahan outside Cliffside Apartments in Sunderland Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2017, after reports of fire.

  • Firefighters enter Cliffside Apartments in Sunderland Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2017, after reports of fire.

For the Gazette
Published: 8/10/2017 8:15:06 PM

SUNDERLAND — Unattended cooking caused a fire at Cliffside Apartments Wednesday that sent one to the hospital with smoke inhalation, according to the state fire marshal’s office.

Spokeswoman Jennifer Mieth said Thursday evening that an individual noticed the fire start, but suffered smoke inhalation after entering the room to try and put it out. That person was transported to the hospital.

Firefighters from nearly 10 neighboring towns responded to the fire at the M building of the apartment community at 248 Amherst Road around 6:30 p.m. Wednesday. Firefighters rescued pet rats, a cat and a small dog from the building. None of the animals were harmed, despite heavy smoke damage inside.

Mieth said cooking is the top cause of fires in homes and of fire-related injuries. She said the fire marshal’s office promotes two safety-related messages:

Stand by your pan. Stay in the kitchen while you’re cooking

Put a lid on it. Should a stove top fire occur, place a lid over it and turn off the heat, and the flames should smother.

Sign up for our free email updates
Daily Hampshire Gazette Headlines
Daily Hampshire Gazette Contests & Promotions
Daily Hampshire Gazette Evening Top Reads
Daily Hampshire Gazette Breaking News
Daily Hampshire Gazette Obits
Daily Hampshire Gazette Sports
Daily Hampshire Gazette PM Updates
Daily Hampshire Gazette Weekly Top Stories
Valley Advocate Newsletter
Daily Hampshire Gazette Dining & Entertainment


Support Local Journalism

Subscribe to the Daily Hampshire Gazette, your leading source for news in the Pioneer Valley.

Daily Hampshire Gazette Office

23 Service Center Road
Northampton, MA 01060


Copyright © 2021 by H.S. Gere & Sons, Inc.
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy