Small fire quickly put out at Western Avenue address

  • ​​​​​​

Published: 10/2/2017 4:41:02 PM

NORTHAMPTON — A fire broke out at 8 Western Ave. on Tuesday, causing minor damage and no injuries.

Northampton Deputy Fire Chief William Millin said the fire was started by a candle in a bedroom and the only damage in the home was to a small table. He said only one person was home at the time and there were no pets in the building.

Police Capt. John Cartledge said the person who lives at the home called for help at 1:49 p.m. The resident tried to put the fire out by throwing water on it, but it kept burning until Police Officer Andrew Kohl arrived and extinguished it.

“When using candles, especially with flammable materials, always keep an eye on them,” Cartledge said.

The faint smell of smoke and emergency vehicles blocking access to the street were the only apparent signs of the fire by 2:15 p.m., as Northampton police and firefighers began to leave the area.


Support Local Journalism

Subscribe to the Daily Hampshire Gazette, your leading source for news in the Pioneer Valley.

Daily Hampshire Gazette Office

115 Conz Street
Northampton, MA 01061


Copyright © 2021 by H.S. Gere & Sons, Inc.
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy