Ex-Springfield official takes plea deal in sex assault case involving child

@mjmajchrowicz
Published: 1/24/2017 9:30:30 PM

NORTHAMPTON — The trial for former Springfield city councilor John Lysak, who was accused of sexually assaulting a young girl on a camping trip in the summer of 2014, will not proceed.

On Tuesday, the day jury selection was to begin for the Hampshire Superior Court trial, attorneys instead reached a deal in which the charge of indecent assault and battery on a person younger than 14 would be downgraded to an unnatural lascivious act with a victim younger than 16, and — after admitting to sufficient facts — that the new charge would be continued without a finding for two years while Lysak serves probation.

As part of his conditions of probation, Lysak may not have contact, live or work with anyone younger than 18, excluding his children, and may not contact the victim, court documents show.

“I’m very proud of the victim for being willing to come forward with this matter and to follow through with it,” Assistant Northwestern District Attorney Linda Pisano said.

Neither Lysak nor his attorney, Daniel Kelly, could be reached for comment Tuesday.

During a camping trip with his children, as well as a young girl who was known to him, Lysak was accused of touching the girl inappropriately under her clothes while they slept in the same tent on Aug. 19, 2014, prosecutors said. Lysak denied the accusations at his July 2015 superior court arraignment and pleaded not guilty to indecent assault and battery on a person younger than 14.

Lysak previously represented Ward 8 on the Springfield City Council from January 2010 until January 2014.

Michael Majchrowicz can be reached at mmajchrowicz@gazettenet.com.




Daily Hampshire Gazette Office

115 Conz Street
Northampton, MA 01061
413-584-5000

 

Copyright © 2020 by H.S. Gere & Sons, Inc.
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy