Cat dies in early-morning house fire



Staff Writer
Published: 3/23/2021 5:55:31 PM

PLAINFIELD — A cat was killed in a house fire Tuesday that burned through the early hours of the day and caused more than $200,000 in damage.

Fire Chief Dave Alvord said the department was called out at 2:30 a.m. for reports of a possible chimney fire at 71 Gloyd St. When the department arrived on the scene, Alvord said, the fire had spread into the building.

“We had a working structure fire going on,” Alvord said.

The fire took “took about five hours” to extinguish, Alvord said. Although firefighters thought they had it knocked down early on, they ended up fighting hot spots for three hours due to the fire’s penetration of the structure.

Alvord said that the two people and two dogs that lived at the home were able to escape unharmed, but that the fire did claim the life of the cat that lived there. He estimated the damage at more than $200,000, although he said that the structure is still standing.

Alvord praised the mutual aid the department received from from Cummington, Ashfield, Goshen, Worthington and Windsor, as well as the presence of Highland Ambulance and Plainfield police on the scene. 

Alvord also said that a number of firefighters had to stop fighting the fire because of exhaustion, although he had no other injuries to report. He also said that once the water supply was established at the fire the firefighters never ran out, despite shuttling it from a location two miles away.

“Everybody was trained and worked well in the situation,” Alvord said.

Plainfield is a volunteer fire department, and Alvord said a number of the firefighters had to take time off from work to deal with the fire’s aftermath.

The state police fire marshal was on the scene and confirmed that the fire began in the chimney, Alvord said.

Bera Dunau can be reached at

Daily Hampshire Gazette Office

115 Conz Street
Northampton, MA 01061


Copyright © 2021 by H.S. Gere & Sons, Inc.
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy