Northampton firefighters douse apartment blaze caused by air conditioner

Staff Writer
Published: 6/30/2022 7:00:18 PM
Modified: 6/30/2022 6:57:43 PM

NORTHAMPTON — A Tuesday night fire has displaced four tenants and caused an estimated $80,000 in damages.

Northampton Assistant Fire Chief Andrew Pelis said that the department was dispatched at 8:02 p.m. to the 18 Orchard St. fire. Once on scene, he said firefighters discovered a fire on the rear third floor of the building.

“Fire was blowing out of two windows,” Pelis said.

He said that the fire was extinguished within 30 minutes and that one firefighter was injured and transported to Cooley Dickinson Hospital. The firefighter was subsequently released.

The building has nine apartments and Pelis said that one was damaged by the fire and another by the water used to extinguish the fire. He said two tenants were displaced from each of the apartments.

Pelis said an air conditioner was the cause of the fire.

Bera Dunau can be reached at bdunau@gazettenet.com.

Jobs



Support Local Journalism


Subscribe to the Daily Hampshire Gazette, your leading source for news in the Pioneer Valley.


Daily Hampshire Gazette Office

115 Conz Street
Northampton, MA 01061
413-584-5000

 

Copyright © 2021 by H.S. Gere & Sons, Inc.
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy