Boys basketball: Last-second bucket lifts Granby past Frontier, 55-54

Staff Writer
Published: 12/23/2021 9:13:42 PM
Modified: 12/23/2021 9:13:27 PM

GRANBY — It was a wild final 20 seconds between the Granby and Frontier boys basketball teams on Wednesday. 

The Rams held a 53-52 lead from the two minute mark until the final 30 seconds, when Frontier’s Iain Spearance got in the lane and finished inside to give the visiting Redhawks a 54-53 lead with 12 seconds to play. 

Granby didn’t use a timeout, instead pushing the ball up the court. Ryan Gaughan got the ball, drove to the lane and dished to a rolling Carter White who had an open path to the rim. White finished inside to put the Rams ahead, 55-54, with three seconds to play. 

Frontier wasn’t able to get a final shot off, with Granby pulling out a 55-54 independent win.

“The play we were running didn’t end up working,” White said. “We just kept cutting and moving and props to Ryan Gaughan for throwing that crazy pass. All I had to do was finish. It was an easy layup. It was a team effort.” 

While the Rams (3-0) held the lead for most of the contest, the Redhawks (3-2) were in the game throughout, having a run in them every time Granby looked to pull ahead. 

“Going down the stretch I thought we settled from deep when we wanted shots going to the rim,” Frontier head coach Ben Barshefsky said. “When that happened we got a couple hoops. Credit to Granby. They’re a hard-nosed team and they deserved to win just as much as we did.” 

Getting a win in a close game was a huge confidence boost for the Rams heading into the holiday weekend. 

“It was such a close game, it’s always better when it’s close,” White said. “Coming out on top in such a close game is a great feeling. It feels like you earned it.” 

The first quarter saw Granby get out to an early lead due to its transition offense. The Rams looked to run on each Frontier missed shot, getting easy layups out of it to pull ahead 14-7 after one. 

A late run in the second quarter pulled the Redhawks to within three at the half. Trailing 26-17 Patrick Boyden knocked down a corner jumper, Tyler Dubreuil got to the rim for two and Dubreuil then knocked down two free throws to close out the half on a 6-0 run and cut the Rams lead to 26-23 at the half. 

Frontier came out flying in the second half to take the lead. Dubreuil knocked down a 3-pointer, Dylan Martin made a pair from the line and Spearance scored inside to put the Redhawks ahead, 30-28. 

Granby’s Nate Breault knocked down a 3 to halt the Frontier run, but the Redhawks ripped off seven in a row off four points from Dubreuil and a 3-pointer from Boyden to take a 37-31 lead. 

Then it was Granby’s turn to go on a run. White scored inside before Breault knocked down a 3 to bring the Rams within one. 

Boyden banked a 3 on the other end but Breault responded with a trey of his own. White then scored inside to put Granby ahead 41-40 with eight seconds left in the frame but Spearance banked in a midrange shot at the buzzer to put Frontier up 42-41 after three quarters. 

“In the first half we got hurt in their transition,” Barshefsky said. “It didn’t hurt us as much in the second half. We made an adjustment. That was a good game. We know we can go into a good team’s gym and play hard-nosed basketball.”

The fourth quarter saw both teams explode on offense then cool off down the stretch. White scored a pair of baskets early before Martin knocked down a 3. Wishart and Breault each hit 3-pointers to put Granby up 51-45 but Martin responded with a 3 and Dubreuil converted an and-one to tie the game up at 51. 

Wishart made a pair from the line with 3:05 to play before Erich Brown made a free throw to cut the Rams lead to 53-52. That set up the frantic final moments.


Support Local Journalism

Subscribe to the Daily Hampshire Gazette, your leading source for news in the Pioneer Valley.

Daily Hampshire Gazette Office

115 Conz Street
Northampton, MA 01061


Copyright © 2021 by H.S. Gere & Sons, Inc.
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy