Cold weather doesn’t put the freeze on weekend parties in Amherst

Last modified: Monday, February 15, 2016

AMHERST — Even with subzero temperatures for much of the Presidents Day weekend, police were kept busy responding to parties, fights and other incidents involving drunken behavior.

At 12:04 a.m. Saturday, seven officers went to Alpine Commons, 133 Belchertown Road, where more than 100 party-goers were inside an apartment, said Detective Michael Forcum.

Alain Leneus, 23, and Lamarriel L. Taylor, 20, both of 133 Belchertown Road, Darrian J. Josey, 20, of Palm Springs, Florida, and Marquis Young, 21, no address available, were all arrested on charges of violating the town’s noise bylaw, Forcum said.

Each man could be fined up to $300 as a result of the offense.

Taylor, Josey and Young are listed on the roster for the University of Massachusetts football team.

Though that was the only party that led to arrests, police also cleared out loud gatherings at Kendrick Place apartments at 11:36 p.m. Friday, at a Pine Street home at 11:56 p.m. Friday, and at Townehouse Apartments, 50 Meadow St., at 1:15 am. Sunday. Police also issued a warning to The Boulders residents at 11:52 p.m. Saturday after loud music and banging was heard in the home.

At 12:18 a.m. Sunday, officers responded to The Monkey Bar, 63 North Pleasant St., where a scuffle was in progress between a bouncer and a patron. The patron, identified as Nicolas Scott Andre, wrestled the bouncer to the ground outside the bar and then punched him in the head, Forcum said.

Andre, 21, of North Reading, was arrested on charges of assault and battery and disorderly conduct, Forcum said.

Forty minutes later, police were called to area in front of McMurphy’s Uptown Tavern, 37 North Pleasant St., where two men were fighting and dispatchers observed the combatants from a surveillance camera.

Cody J. Holmes, 21, of Plymouth, was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct, while the second man involved fled, Forcum said.

The incident remains under investigation.

Another fight nearly occurred Monday morning, when a man leaving The Monkey Bar at 1:08 a.m. was pushed to the ground and tried to retaliate. As a crowd who had been in the bar waited for a fight, officers were able to get the man to his friends, who brought him home without causing further trouble.

Meanwhile, another man walking on Main Street at 1:15 a.m. was stopped after he was observed wearing an orange traffic cone on his head. He was advised to return the cone to a nearby construction area.

Other drunken behavior occurred at 4:45 p.m. Saturday, when a college-age man came to the police station to report he was assaulted by three men the previous night while being removed from a party at a North Pleasant Street home. Police are investigating his complaint of being dragged out from the home.

At 12:52 a.m. Sunday, police responded to an East Pleasant Street residence where an intoxicated man was trying to get into a woman’s apartment. He was found in a stairwell and transported to his home on West Street.

Just a few minutes later, police were called to Hallock Street where two men were trying to stop passing vehicles. They were gone when police got there, but at 1:16 a.m. Sunday two men were found banging on the windows to a vehicle stopped on Northampton Road. Police determined they were from out of town, lost and were frightened due to the extreme cold.

They were given a courtesy escort to a Sunset Avenue home where they were staying with friends.

Police also conducted Cops-in-Shops details during the weekend, with one fake ID confiscated at a North Amherst package store. The other 26 IDs examined were valid, according to police.

Scott Merzbach can be reached at


Daily Hampshire Gazette Office

115 Conz Street
Northampton, MA 01061


Copyright © 2021 by H.S. Gere & Sons, Inc.
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy