Accused Capitol rioter from Athol pleads not guilty in DC court

  • Vincent Gillespie was arrested by the FBI at his home in Athol on Feb. 18. FBI BOSTON DIVISION


Staff Writer
Published: 3/2/2022 11:06:50 AM

The Athol man arrested in connection with the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol pleaded not guilty to seven federal charges in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia on Tuesday and was released on personal recognizance.

Vincent J. Gillespie, 60, a former resident of Greenfield and Easthampton, appeared remotely before Magistrate Judge Zia Faruqui, who applied the court’s standard conditions of release. These include staying away from Washington, D.C., except for court appearances and consultations with his attorney.

Gillespie, represented by Assistant Federal Public Defender Timothy Watkins, pleaded not guilty to assaulting, resisting or impeding certain officers; civil disorder; entering and remaining in a restricted building or grounds; disorderly and disruptive conduct in a restricted building or grounds; engaging in physical violence in a restricted building or grounds; disorderly conduct in a Capitol building; and an act of physical violence in the Capitol grounds or buildings. He is scheduled for a status hearing in front of Chief Judge Beryl A. Howell on Friday at 9:15 a.m.

A grand jury indicted Gillespie on Feb. 25. He also faces charges in the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, where he has also pleaded not guilty.

On Feb. 18, Gillespie was taken into custody in Athol without incident by special agents and officers with the FBI Boston Division’s Western Massachusetts Joint Terrorism Task Force, in conjunction with the Athol Police Department. He was released last week after posting a $10,000 unsecured bond, under which a defendant promises to pay a certain amount if he or she does not follow the conditions of release or appear in court.

In an email last week, Gillespie said his attorney had advised him not to speak with the news media.

According to the U.S. Department of Justice, Gillespie allegedly assaulted law enforcement officers by ramming them with a police shield during the Capitol riot. From at least 4:11 p.m. to at least 4:25 p.m. on Jan. 6, Gillespie was allegedly among rioters in the Lower West Terrace of the Capitol and engaged in pushing, shoving, yelling and fighting with law enforcement officers.

According to court documents, Gillespie made his way to the front of the pack of rioters, grabbed a police shield and allegedly rammed law enforcement officers while screaming “traitor” and “treason” at the police. Gillespie also allegedly grabbed an officer by the arm and attempted to pull him into the crowd, according to court documents.

Supporters of then-President Donald Trump marched to the Capitol building on Jan. 6 and forced their way inside in an attempt to disrupt the Electoral College certification of the 2020 presidential election. At least 138 police officers were injured, and at least four took their own lives within seven months of the riot. Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick was pepper-sprayed during the insurrection and suffered two strokes, resulting in his death the following day. Additionally, one woman was shot dead by a Capitol Police officer.

Sign up for our free email updates
Daily Hampshire Gazette Headlines
Daily Hampshire Gazette Contests & Promotions
Daily Hampshire Gazette Evening Top Reads
Daily Hampshire Gazette Breaking News
Daily Hampshire Gazette Obits
Daily Hampshire Gazette Sports
Daily Hampshire Gazette PM Updates
Daily Hampshire Gazette Weekly Top Stories
Daily Hampshire Gazette Valley Advocate


Support Local Journalism

Subscribe to the Daily Hampshire Gazette, your leading source for news in the Pioneer Valley.

Daily Hampshire Gazette Office

23 Service Center Road
Northampton, MA 01060


Copyright © 2021 by H.S. Gere & Sons, Inc.
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy