Minutewomen earn 2nd straight shutout
Moa Mattsson and Hlin Gunnlaugsdottir each had a goal and an assist as the University Massachusetts women's soccer team defeated New Hampshire 2-0 at home Sunday.
Mattson got the Minutewomen (4-4) on the scoreboard in the 77th minute and then set up Gunnslaugsdottir's goal five minutes later.
Tori Sousa and Gunnlaugsdottir were each credited with an assist on Mattson's goal.
Emily Cota made seven saves for her second straight shutout.
Smith College 3, Mount Holyoke 0 - GiGi Ross scored two goals and Allie Rooney added another for the Pioneers (3-2, 1-0 NEWMAC) at home Saturday.
Cody Norris made four saves for Smith's second straight shutout, while Mackenzie Randall had seven for the Lyons (0-4-1, 0-1).
Amherst 2, Bates 0 - Kathryn Nathan and Amanda Brisco each scored goals as the No. 7 Lord Jeffs (2-0, 1-0) won Saturday in Lewiston, Maine.
UMass 1, New Hampshire 1 - Brett Canepa scored with four seconds left in regulation to help the Minutemen (2-2-2) snap a two-game losing streak Saturday in Durham, N.H.
Amherst 2, Bates 0 - Federico Sucre and Jae Heo each netted second-half goals as the No. 3 Lord Jeffs (3-0, 1-0 NESCAC) won Saturday in Lewiston, Maine.
Amherst 3, Bates 2 - Madeline Tank scored in the 62nd minute to give the Lord Jeffs (3-0, 1-0 NESCAC) the victory Saturday in Lewiston, Maine.
Krista Zsitvay and Ellie Anderson also scored for Amherst.
Mount Holyoke 9, Smith 1 - Angelica Pascual and Kirsten Kilburn each scored four goals as the Lyons (3-2, 1-0 NEWMAC) cruised at home Saturday.
Tufts 3, Amherst 1 - Emily Waterhouse had 13 kills, but the Jeffs (3-2, 0-2 NESCAC) lost 25-21, 23-25, 25-13, 25-21 on Saturday in Medford.
Lauren Antion finished with 12 kills, 10 digs and four blocks, while Nicole Carter dished out 31 assists.
MIT 3, Smith 0; Simmons 3, Smith 2 - Rosa Drummond had a combined 15 blocks and 25 kills, but the Pioneers fell in a pair of matches Saturday in Cambridge.
Men's cross country
- Bentley College freshman Sam Powell of Granby finished 62nd overall with a time of 26 minutes, 34.45 seconds on the 8K race to help his team to a 15th place finish at the UMass-Dartmouth Shriners' Invitational in North Dartmouth on Saturday.
- Tyler Keith of Florence finished 10th with a time of 28:57 in the 8K race at the University of Delaware Invitational.
Women's cross country
- Elizabeth DeLeon finished 30th overall to lead Mount Holyoke to a 16th-place finish at the UMass-Dartmouth Shriners' Invitational in North Dartmouth on Saturday.
Wellesley 9, Smith 0 - No. 1 singles player Bayla Weick fell to Erica Choo 3-6, 6-2, 10-8 as the Pioneers (0-1, 0-1 NEWMAC) were swept at home Saturday.
Mount Holyoke 5, Wheaton 4 - Eman Malik's 6-4, 6-3, 6-0 victory over Sarah Crom was the deciding result for the Lyons (2-1) at home Saturday.
- Amherst College's Jordan Brewer and Gabby Devlin went 4-0 over two days to to capture the Stony Brook Women's Tennis Classic's 'A' doubles championship.
- Amherst College's Jarvis Sill (79-80) and James Line (73-86) tied for 35th place as the Lord Jeffs finished 10th out of 25 teams at the Duke Nelson Invitational in Middlebury, Vt., over the weekend.
- Amherst College's Liz Monty (78-74) finished second overall as the Lord Jeffs placed third at the NYU Invitational in the Bronx, N.Y., over the weekend.