Aaron Hernandez’ attorney says no arrest warrant issued
NORTH ATTLEBOROUGH — The lawyer for New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez Tuesday denied media reports that an arrest warrant had been prepared for the Bristol native under investigation for a possible role in the slaying of a man last week.
“Over the past week, our client, Aaron Hernandez, has been the subject of a relentless flood of rumors, misinformation, and false reports in the media. These include the repeated publication of a supposedly confirmed report that an arrest warrant had been issued for Aaron, a report that was exposed as untrue,” said attorney Michael Fee. “None of these false reports come from official sources and we appreciate the professionalism and restraint shown by the Bristol County District Attorney’s Office to date with regard to its public statements while its investigation is underway. Out of respect for that ongoing investigation, we will continue to refrain from commenting on its substance.”
Meanwhile, a Massachusetts court said Tuesday it has sealed documents related to the killing of a semi-pro football player found dead a mile from the home of Hernandez.
Attleboro District Court officials said documents related to the case, including search warrants, have been impounded, meaning the public can’t see them. No charges have been filed.
There was little activity at Hernandez’s house Tuesday. A group of men arrived in the afternoon, including James L. Sultan, a well-known Boston criminal defense attorney. Tuesday marks the first time Sultan has been spotted at the house.
Sultan has extensive criminal defense experience and boasts success fighting impending charges against clients under investigation. A spokesman at his firm, Rankin & Sultan, would not comment on his involvement.
A Massachusetts State Police dive team spent an hour and a half searching the stream that appears to run along back of Hernandez’s house on Monday. Four officers wearing full body black dive suits searched the stream with metal detectors. It was unclear if anything was found.
A number of media outlets have reported during the past week or so that a warrant has been prepared to charge him with interfering with the investigation into the shooting death of the man who was dating his girlfriend’s sister.
On Saturday, police spent nearly four hours at Hernandez’s house Saturday, from 1:45 p.m. to about 5:30 p.m. Some officers carried paper bags of unidentified items out of the home. Two K-9 units also searched the house Saturday. Police searched the backyard, and searched and photographed Hernandez’s SUV. A locksmith also spent time in the house.
ABC News reported that Hernandez and the victim, Odin Lloyd, 27, a semi-pro football player, had been together at several nightclubs last weekend, including the night before Lloyd’s body was found less than a mile from Hernandez’s North Attleborough home.
Multiple reports say Hernandez destroyed his cellphone and his home security system, which might have provided video. Authorities were also investigating reports that Hernandez hired a crew to clean the home.
Reporters have set up camp in a vacant lot next door to Hernandez’s house.
Lloyd’s body was found in a vacant lot off John L. Dietsch Boulevard, an industrial park area.
Lloyd, a semi-pro football player, reportedly left a club with two men, including Hernandez, late Sunday night or early Monday morning, but only two men returned to Hernandez’s home.
Reports indicate a jogger found Lloyd’s dead body at 5:30 p.m. June 17 and that a vehicle rented in Hernandez’s name was nearby. According to reports by SI.com, Lloyd died between 1 a.m. and 6 a.m. on June 17.
Boston’s Fox 25 News reported that neighbors heard shots fired between 3 a.m. and 3:30 a.m. and that there was video surveillance footage showing Hernandez and two other men wearing hooded sweatshirts entering Hernandez’s home moments later. An hour before that, Hernandez was seen at Lloyd’s home.
The television station also reported that a hard drive to Hernandez’s home security system was heavily damaged and a cell phone destroyed.
The Boston Globe reported that video images show Hernandez and Lloyd together in Dorchester early Monday, hours before Lloyd’s bullet-riddled body was found.
Lloyd, 27, was a linebacker for the semi-pro Boston Bandits. There were indications that he was shot and the body dumped in the industrial park.
Lloyd was dating the sister of Shayanna Jenkins, Hernandez’s girlfriend and mother of his child, at the time of Lloyd’s death.
Material from The Associated Press contributed to this report.