Daily Hampshire Gazette - Established 1786
Hi 25° | Lo 7°

Hampshire Regional Weir brothers advance to state Division 3 wrestling semifinal rounds

The Hampshire Regional Weir brothers are making noise in the state Division 3 wrestling tournament.

Senior Frankie and sophomore Brendan reached the semifinal round of their respective weight classes.

The pair each won two matches Tuesday in the double-elimination tournament held at Wakefield High School.

At 170 pounds, Frankie Weir opened with a pin of Jim Carlin in 4 minutes, 49 seconds. He then defeated Matt Froio of Cohassett 4-3 to reach Wednesday’s semifinal round. Weir will face Elliot Johnson of Norton.

In the 120-pound class, Brendan Weir pinned Ahrayah Santius of Norton in 1:18. He followed that with a 6-4 decision over Victor Ramirez of Triton. Brendan Weir will face Tom Funk of Pentucket in Wednesday’s semifinal.

Meanwhile, Hampshire’s John Lachowicz is still alive at 220. Lachowicz pinned Nick Shooshan of Scituate in 1:55, but fell 10-5 to Alex Kane of Wakefield.

Lachowicz came back and pinned Eddie Haen of Pembroke in 2:59 to advance. He will face Phillip Fernandez of Dean Tech Wednesday in the consolation semifinal round.

Hampshire’s Jacob Gray (145) and Matt Carrier (285) each went 0-2 and were eliminated.

Gateway Regional’s Andrew Goskowicz (160) and Joe Jones (106) each went 1-2. Sam Rexer went 2-1 at 170 pounds and will face Tom LaRose of Athol in a consolation semifinal Wednesday

Granby’s Shane O’Connor went 1-2 at 138 and did not advance to Wednesday.

South Hadley’s Travis Warren (113), Bobby O’Connell (138), Chris Rojas (126) and Riley Baker (285) all competed Tuesday.

Rojas and O’Connell each won their first match but dropped two straight. Warren and Baker each went 0-2.

Ben McGranaghan (106) and Chris Toomey (195) of Frontier qualified but did not compete due to injury.

Division 1

Northampton sent two wrestlers to the Division 1 championships, held at Newton South.

Kyle Cote-Houghton (145) and Harrison Tremaine (220) each dropped their first match of the tournament Tuesday.

Cote-Houghton came back and beat Charlie McWilliams of Barnstable 6-2, but then fell 7-2 to Zach Kessler of Brockton.

Tremaine recovered from his loss and pinned Don Sharp of North Quincy in 2:15. Tremaine though was eliminated 8-4 by William Fuller of Bridgewater Raynham.

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.