Daily Hampshire Gazette - Established 1786
Hi 10° | Lo -11°

Hampshire ousted 2-0 by Monument in Division 2 boys quarterfinals

GREAT BARRINGTON — For nearly one hour of game time, the Hampshire Regional boys soccer team kept host Monument Mountain off the scoreboard.

It wasn’t easy, as Monument ended the night with 20 shots at net to three for the Red Raiders.

A goal by Daniel Huertas at 57:11 broke the scoreless deadlock. Nick Masiero, who assisted on the first goal, got an insurance tally eight minutes later and third-seeded Monument was on its way to the semifinals with a 2-0 win over the No. 6 Raiders in a Western Massachusetts Division 2 quarterfinal on a frosty Monday night.

“We didn’t have enough on the ball tonight,” Hampshire coach Dan Moynahan said. “That’s the strength of our team, keeping the ball and passing it. They took away the space very quickly.”

The Spartans (14-2-2) will face No. 7 seed South Hadley (10-6-3) in a semifinal, after the Tigers upset second-seeded Cathedral 2-1 on Monday. The date and time for the semifinal has yet to be determined. The Raiders finished 10-5-3.

Hampshire goalie Ben Preston was tested all night as he made eight saves. None was as good as the save he made late in the first half. On a Monument free kick, Jason Laramee faked the kick but Lucas Wartella boomed a shot that Preston just got a fist on and punched the ball over the crossbar.

Monument had a couple of good chances early in the second half, but finally struck midway through the stanza.

Masiero got the ball some 20 yards from the end line by the right sideline. He carried the ball deep, cut toward the middle and sent the ball to Huertas in the box. Huertas directed the ball into the net and the Spartans were up 1-0 at 57:11.

Eight minutes later, Masiero made it 2-0 with an unassisted goal. His left-footed blast eluded Preston — and the countdown to the semifinal was on.

“We’re 14-0 now when we score two goals or more,” Monument coach Matt Naventi said. “We don’t give up many and we know we’re going to get a couple in most cases. As long as they keep their composure, keep at it offensively and don’t start to get frantic, we definitely have plenty of opportunities and they’re going to get one.”

Monument goalkeeper Aaron House had two saves, one in each half. He credited the Monument defense with keeping him from being very busy.

“I’m pretty concerned” about a counter-attack, House said. “Our defense, the back line with Bobby (Kinne) and Eitan (Kiin), they clean up anything that comes through in the air.”

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.