Daily Hampshire Gazette - Established 1786
Hi 28° | Lo 17°

Daylight-saving time a fire-safety reminder

Town Fire Chief Christopher Norris sees daylight-saving time as a prime time to remind local residents about fire safety.

Sunday, when clocks are moved ahead one hour, is a good time for residents to check the batteries on their home smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, Norris said.

“Approximately every three hours, a home fire death occurs somewhere in the nation and the majority are in homes without working smoke alarms,” he said. “The most commonly cited causes of nonworking smoke alarms are worn or missing batteries.”

In addition to checking batteries, Norris said residents should look at when their alarms were manufactured because all electronic devices have a limited life span. Generally, smoke alarms should be replaced every 10 years and carbon monoxide detectors every five to 10 years, he said.

Norris pointed out that state law now requires carbon monoxide detectors in every home that has fossil-fuel burning equipment or an attached garage.

For more guidance on home fire safety, call the Fire Department at 529-7181.


Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.