Daily Hampshire Gazette - Established 1786
Hi 31° | Lo 18°

Easthampton family shares story of bombings, manhunt

On Monday, Brittany Glenn of Framingham and her mother, Gail Glenn of Easthampton, were standing at the finish line of the Boston Marathon, waiting for Brittany’s sister, Ashley Glenn, to finish her run. The time was 2:41 p.m.

As Ashley crossed the finish line, her family hugged and congratulated her, before she walked into the corral where runners are given water and blankets as they complete the race. Mother and daughter began to follow along the outside, planning to meet Ashley at the other end.

Nine minutes later, the first of two bombs exploded right where they had been standing. But by then, they were about two blocks away.

“At first we didn’t know what had happened,” said Brittany Glenn, 23, a 2007 graduate of the Williston Northampton School in Easthampton who now works in Boston. “We looked back and saw cops running. We looked back and saw the smoke two blocks away. ... We knew we had to get out of there. We were all too close.”

After the blast, Brittany and her mom were unable to locate Ashley.

“The scary thing was she didn’t have a cellphone,” Glenn said. “In a panic, my mom and I ran to the barricade, screaming her name, but we couldn’t find her. It was chaotic.”

Finally, Ashley made it to the runners’ bus, where her cell phone was stored, and let her family know where she was.

Finally, they found her near Boston Common. “She was in a state of shock. Just from finishing the marathon, she was exhausted,” Glenn said. “I don’t think she processed what happened at that moment. Not until the next day.”

Glenn said she was very shaken by the experience. Going to her marketing job Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday helped her feel that things were returning to normal. But when she was awakened Friday at 6 a.m. by a text message from work, telling her not to go in because of the lockdown, she said, she felt panic all over again.

“It wasn’t easy to talk about, it’s still not, knowing I was standing there within 10 minutes when it went off,” she said. “But, I’m getting better.”

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.