Small fire Monday damages roof of Potpourri Mall in Northampton
NORTHAMPTON — City fire officials said a ventilation unit overheated and caused a fire Monday evening that damaged the metal roof of the Potpourri Mall, 241 King St.
Assistant Fire Chief Duane Nichols said maintenance employees reported smoke coming from the roof at 7:09 p.m. It took about two hours to fully extinguish the fire, which was smouldering in an attic area. Firefighters had to remove a section of the metal-deck roof in order to put out the blaze.
No one was injured and there was no damage to the interior of the building, Nichols said. He estimated the fire caused $5,000 to $8,000 worth of damage to the roof.