DEP details Valley enforcement orders for August
The following is a selection of state DEP consent orders for the region for August, the most recent period for which reports are available.
• WETLANDS VIOLATIONS, Aug. 27, Belchertown: Entered into a consent order with a $6,000 penalty involving Levi-Nielsen Co. Inc. for wetlands violations in Belchertown. The Levi-Nielsen Co. was found to have failed to comply with an order of conditions that had resulted in alterations beyond the approved limit of work. The order requires Levi-Nielsen to retain an environmental contractor, develop and implement restoration plan. The company will pay $1,000 of the penalty with $5,000 suspended.
• FAILURE TO COMPLY, Aug. 16, Northampton: Issued a demand for $5,000 in stipulated penalties to the Hampton Housing Associates Limited Partnership in Northampton. MassDEP issued the demand due to the Hampton Housing Associates Limited Partnership’s failure to comply with a previously signed consent order between it and MassDEP executed on Aug. 25 2006. Hampton Housing, however, failed to comply with the deadline for submitting the agreed upon phase four: a remedy implementation plan.
• WASTEWATER VIOLATIONS, Aug. 10, Amherst: Entered into a consent order with a $3,800 penalty involving Manafort Brothers Construction for wastewater violations in Amherst. MassDEP executed an agreement with Manafort in connection with the unpermitted discharge of wastewater during a construction project at the University of Massachusetts following the failure of a pump and back-up pump during bypass pumping. The spill occurred in the area of the wastewater treatment plant and was quickly cleaned up. The order requires the company to pay $1,950 of the penalty with the remaining $1,850 suspended pending compliance over the next two years. In addition, the order requires Manafort to develop a bypass pumping standard operating procedures to avoid future discharges.
• LANDFILL ODOR, Aug. 8, South Hadley: Issued notice of intent to assess a $20,693 penalty to South Hadley Landfill, LLC for violations at its property in South Hadley. The DEP issued the notice following confirmed odor complaints which occurred between June 15 and July 27.
• WATER SYSTEM, Aug. 1, Cummington: Issued a boil water order to Greenwood Music Camp Inc. for water supply violations in Cummington. The camp serves as a public water supplier. The order was issued following “very high total coliform counts within the public water system and at its source,” the DEP said.
— Compiled by Larry Parnass