Daily Hampshire Gazette - Established 1786
Hi 26° | Lo 17°

Three hurt in melee outside Amherst bar

AMHERST — Three college-age men, including one who was knocked unconscious, suffered head injuries during an altercation outside the downtown bars early Sunday.

When officers got to the scene of the fight, reported at 1:04 a.m., three men were on the ground, all bleeding from their heads, and the two aggressors had fled, said Detective David Foster.

The incident occurred outside Stackers Pub, 57 North Pleasant St., just after the bars had closed for the night.

All three victims were taken by Amherst Fire Department ambulances to Cooley Dickinson Hospital in Northampton, with the most seriously injured later transferred to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield.

None of the injuries appears to be life threatening, Foster said.

The incident remains under investigation as police speak to witnesses and review surveillance footage to identify the assailants and the cause of the fight.

Meanwhile, sporadic parties popped up throughout Amherst during the weekend, but few rose to a level significant enough for police intervention.

The only arrests at a party came Saturday at 2:02 a.m., where two partygoers refused to leave the scene of 71 Meadow St., where about 30 people were in attendance.

Sean P. Ceponis, 21, of Ridgefield, Conn., and Timal Atul Thakkar, 21, of Northborugh, were arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and failure to disperse from a riot.

Police issued one noise citation to a Salem Place resident Saturday at 12:05 a.m. and gave a verbal warning to Presidential Apartments residents at 12:41 a.m.

Late Saturday night, around 11:30, police went to Olympia Drive to bring control to a gathering getting out of hand. Residents at Sigma Phi Epsilon called police to assist in removing 300 to 500 people who were trying to start a party. Foster said because of the distance from other homes, the department never received a noise complaint.

Police also were notified that some people had gotten into the home and were deliberately causing damage, including ripping down ceiling tiles and exit signs and braking windows.

Sunday at 12:29 a.m., police responded to 202 College St., where 300 people, many underage, were attending a party. Police broke up the party and issued two 22-year-old men tickets for violating the town’s noise and nuisance house bylaws, Foster said. That means each will have to pay $600 in fines.

Police warned resident of 37 South Prospect St., where loud music and singing was taking place Sunday at 2:43 a.m.

With the mild, sunny weather, several days in a row police sent officers to Puffer’s Pond and advised the town’s conservation staff about potential issues from college-age people who might try to have parties there.

“We were very proactive up there trying to dissuade students from having the same situation as last year,” Foster said.

Twice in spring 2012, students took over the beach and consumed beer in a place where alcohol is not allowed

Thursday at 1:32 p.m., a growing crowd of college-age people was cleared out before things got out of control, Foster said.

Four hours later, though, at 5:34 p.m., a 20-year-old Methuen man was found naked while wading in a stream near the pond. The man will be summoned to court on charges of indecent exposure and being a minor in possession of alcohol, Foster said.

Saturday at 5 p.m., police took a report of excessive noise coming from the beach area and responded to keep things quiet. Then, at 5:31 p.m., two men were summoned to court for being minors in possession of alcohol after admitting to drinking beer from cups while on the beach.

Finally, Sunday at 3:09 p.m., 100 people at the beach were told to behave, police said.

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.