Day-by-day Amherst police calls
Day-by-Day Amherst Police Calls
MONDAY, DEC. 31
• 1:09 a.m. — Two youths loitering on Rambling Road told police they were headed for a walk on the Hampshire College campus. Police sent them home for the night.
• 2:30 a.m. — Police located two people on a snowbank on Kellogg Avenue. They told police they were just playing in the snow. Police sent them on their way.
• 2:42 p.m. — A man causing a scene at a North Amherst business was given a courtesy escort downtown and agreed to calm down.
• 11:53 p.m. — Police warned Echo Village Apartments residents playing loud music.
• 5:03 p.m. — Police are trying to resolve a barking dog issue on Berkshire Terrace.
• 12:25 p.m. — Police issued a ticket to a Glendale Rioad resident who failed to shovel snow from the sidewalk in front of his home.
TUESDAY, JAN. 1
• 5:06 a.m. — A man knocking on doors and windows at Colonial Village was told to stop.
• 2:45 a.m. — Police responded to a North Amherst home to assist the resident with securing a gun that had been left unattended on a bed.
• 10:12 p.m. — A man at the homeless shelter requested he be given a mental health evaluation. Police brought him to Cooley Dickinson Hospital in Northampton.
• 11:0 a.m. — A motorcycle parked on Hallock Street sustained minor damage when it was tipped over and kicked.
• 4:47 a.m. — A man who entered the Chabad House on North Hadley Road left without taking or damaging any items and didn’t speak to anyone while inside. Police were unable to locate the man.
• 12:27 a.m. – Police warned Mill Valley Estates residents holding a loud party.
• 1:44 a.m. — Police warned Colonial Village residents playing loud music.
• 12:58 a.m. — Amherst police stopped a vehicle on Pine Street on behalf of Sunderland Police. The passenger in the vehicle had caused a scene at a Sunderland bar, police said, and was issued a trespass notice.
WEDNESDAY, JAN. 2
• 3:29 p.m. — Antonio Araica, 25, of Shutesbury Road, Leverett, was cited for operating a motor vehicle with a learner’s permit after the vehicle he was driving on East Leverett Road went off the road and struck a tree, police said. No injuries were reported.
• 2 p.m. — Police issued a ticket to a vehicle parked illegally on Gaylord Street blocking access to a home.
THURSDAY, JAN. 3
• 9:43 a.m. — Police are investigating the illegal dumping of wicker furniture in a Dumpster on Rolling Green Drive.
• 7:38 p.m. — An Amherst man told police his former girlfriend and her new boyfriend have been calling his home and threatening him.
• 6:19 p.m. and 7:44 p.m. — Police were notified about a man soliciting door to door on South East Street.
• 2:14 p.m. — An Amherst woman reported a personal care attendant stole Oxycontin and morphine from her home. Police are investigating.
• 3:05 a.m. — An East Pleasant Street woman reported her iPhone was stolen two days earlier during a party. The woman told police she believes the iPhone is with a person in Boston.
• 6:48 a.m. — Police took a report from a Cherry Lane resident about the theft of $500 from a credit card.
• 9:30 a.m. — Malfunctioning traffic signals at North Pleasant Street and Massachusetts Avenue were repaired by UMass workers.
FRIDAY, JAN. 4
• 7:13 p.m. — A homeless man arguing with staff and customers at a downtown restaurant was sent on his way.
• 3:40 p.m. — Police are investigating a theft from a University Drive business in which a woman entered the store wearing no coat and left wearing three coats. The woman told store management and police that she owns all three coats. Police are investigating.
SATURDAY, JAN. 5
• 7:55 a.m. — A person loitering in the hallway of a West Street building was determined to be homeless and trying to stay warm.
• 4:25 p.m. — A girl reported missing late the previous night from an Amherst home was located.
• 10:20 p.m. — A man causing a disturbance at the homeless shelter was asked to leave for the night.
• 12:12 a.m. — A vehicle that slid into a snowbank on State Street near Puffer’s Pond had to be towed from the scene, police said. No injuries were reported.
SUNDAY, JAN. 6
• 1:40 a.m. — A woman sleeping in the lobby of an Amity Street building was awoken and sent on her way.
• 2:30 a.m. — Police were unable to locate a man who had jiggled the handle to a door at Presidential Apartments before fleeing.
• 5:54 p.m. — A homeless man sleeping on a bench on North Pleasant Street woke up and left the area.
• 8:59 p.m. — Two men were found banging on the door to a residence at The Boulders where they hoped to stay warm for the night. They were advised to seek refuge at the homeless shelter after the resident refused to let them in.
• 9:45 p.m. — Police kept the peace at Echo Village Apartments after a woman intervened in a verbal altercation between a man and woman. The woman who tried to stop the fight had her shirt torn and was advised she could seek her own complaint in court. At 11:34 p.m., police returned to the apartment complex to again calm down the same people.
• 10:20 p.m. — Two guests at the homeless shelter were causing a commotion on North Pleasant Street after being removed for the night. They were sent on their way.
• 9:08 p.m. — South Prospect Street residents reported their home was forcibly entered, but nothing appeared to be stolen.