Daily Hampshire Gazette - Established 1786
Hi 25° | Lo 7°

Grease fire displaces seven people in Conway apartments

The fire broke out on a kitchen stove about 5:30 p.m. in the second-floor apartment at 86 Main St. A woman who lived in the building was able to get it under control with a fire extinguisher before firefighters arrived, said Conway Fire Chief Robert Baker. The woman suffered minor smoke inhalation, but declined to be taken to a hospital, he said.

“She was fortunate to knock it down with the fire extinguisher,” Baker said. “It did quite a bit of damage to the kitchen and a lot of smoke damage to all the apartments.”

Seven people in three second-floor apartments were displaced by the fire, though Baker said he expects four tenants will be able to move back into two of the units rather quickly. The first floor of the building is office space.

Firefighters also rescued three cats from the apartments Sunday night, Baker said.


Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.