Small fire closes Amherst tanning salon
AMHERST — A small fire at a University Drive tanning salon early Saturday morning was extinguished by an automatic sprinkler system in the building before firefighters arrived.
The fire occurred in a utility room at the Golden Booty Tanning Resort at 6 University Drive, sometime before an automatic fire alarm was triggered at the Fire Department at 1:37 a.m., according to public safety officials and the salon’s owners.
The utility room sustained smoke and water damage, but according to a post on the business’s Facebook site, the salon area itself was untouched. The salon will be closed until the utility room has been cleaned and fire officials complete their investigation, according to the site.
No was injured in the blaze, which will be investigated by state fire marshal’s office.
— Steve Pfarrer