Kitchen blaze at Easthampton home causes estimated $35,000 to $40,000 in damage
Firefighters work to extinguish a kitchen fire Thursday night at 5 Arthur St. in Easthampton. The fire, which is believed to have started on a kitchen stove, caused an estimated $35,000 to $40,000 in damage. JERREY ROBERTS Purchase photo reprints »
EASTHAMPTON — A fire believed to have originated on a kitchen stove caused an estimated $35,000 to $40,000 in damage to a home at 5 Arthur St. Thursday night. No one was hurt.
Fire Chief David Mottor said a police officer was the first to respond after the fire was called in at 9:37 p.m. The homeowner, a woman who was the only person in the house at the time, had escaped safely and reported a stove fire, Mottor said.
The officer retrieved an extinguisher from his cruiser and entered the house, but founds flames already spreading across the kitchen ceiling, Mottor said. Firefighters arrived moments later and had the blaze under control in about 15 minutes, the chief said.
The home is uninhabitable and the Red Cross is assisting the homeowner in finding a place to stay. Deed records list Alfred P. and Cynthia L. Chamberland as homeowners.
Ten Easthampton firefighters responded, with help from the Northampton and Southampton fire departments.
Perhaps a sign of the times, Mottor said he learned about the fire online before he was paged by dispatch. He said he happened to be browsing Facebook just as the group Hamp Scanner posted a notice about the fire at 9:45 p.m.