Daily Hampshire Gazette - Established 1786
M/cloudy
74°
M/cloudy
Hi 75° | Lo 52°

Fire at The Knolls sends South Hadley homeowner to hospital

William Sax of 18 The Knolls was taken by ambulance to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield, then transferred to a burn unit in Boston for treatment of burns to his hands and face and smoke inhalation, said Chief David Keefe of South Hadley Fire District No. 2.

Information about Sax’s condition was not immediately available.

According to Keefe, the fire was reported by a neighbor about 9:31 a.m. About 18 firefighters from South Hadley and Granby arrived to fight the fire, and a crew from the Amherst Fire Department covered the District No. 2 fire station.

From outside, firefighters could see the flames in the house making their way from the first floor up the stairs to the home’s second story, Keefe said.

When firefighters arrived, Sax was attempting to douse the fire from outside the house with a garden hose, Keefe said.

The bulk of the fire was put out in about 20 minutes, Keefe said. Crews stayed on the scene for another 45 minutes to check for hot spots.

In addition to Sax, a South Hadley police officer was injured at the scene, but was treated and released from Holyoke Medical Center, according to Keefe.

The fire was investigated by members of the state fire marshal’s office and South Hadley Fire Department, who determined the wax on the stove was the cause of the fire, Keefe said.

Bob Dunn can be reached at bdunn@gazettenet.com.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.