Two men die of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning in Springfield
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — Authorities in Springfield say two men are dead and a woman has been hospitalized after apparent exposure to carbon monoxide.
The culprit is thought to be a gasoline-powered generator running inside the house, which was not properly vented to the outside.
Authorities do not believe the deaths are storm-related. They say the home was in the process of being sold and had no power.
Officials say they responded to a city home at about 7:20 p.m. Sunday to find the men unresponsive.
One man was declared dead at the scene while the second man was pronounced dead at a hospital.
The men were found by relatives who went to the home. One of those relatives, the woman, was hospitalized for exposure to the deadly gas.
No names were released.