Ten tips to prevent identity theft
1. Don’t carry your Social Security card in your wallet or purse.
2. Never click on a computer link from a person you don’t know.
3. Maintain the security software on your computer.
4. Be careful putting personal details on Facebook, and don’t “friend” just anyone who asks.
5. Cross-shred documents that contain sensitive information.
6. Pick up new checks at a bank rather than having them sent to your house.
7. Check your credit report once a year; it’s free.
8. Don’t pay bills by mail and leave them for the letter carrier to pick up.
9. Don’t let your credit or debit card get out of your sight.
10. Never give personal information over the phone to someone who calls you.