Daily Hampshire Gazette - Established 1786
Cloudy
29°
Cloudy
Hi 34° | Lo 9°

Cooking oil ignites fire causing $60,000 damage to apartment house in Easthampton

  • Easthampton firefighters work a fire at 88 Northampton Street in Easthampton Monday. Emergency vehicles blocked the street where it intersects with Groveland Street and traffic was rerouted. <br/>JERREY ROBERTS

    Easthampton firefighters work a fire at 88 Northampton Street in Easthampton Monday. Emergency vehicles blocked the street where it intersects with Groveland Street and traffic was rerouted.
    JERREY ROBERTS Purchase photo reprints »

  • Easthampton and Northampton firefighters work a fire at 88 Northampton Street in Easthampton Monday. Emergency vehicles blocked the street where it intersects with Groveland Street and traffic was rerouted. <br/>JERREY ROBERTS

    Easthampton and Northampton firefighters work a fire at 88 Northampton Street in Easthampton Monday. Emergency vehicles blocked the street where it intersects with Groveland Street and traffic was rerouted.
    JERREY ROBERTS Purchase photo reprints »

  • Easthampton firefighters work a fire at 88 Northampton Street in Easthampton Monday. Emergency vehicles blocked the street where it intersects with Groveland Street and traffic was rerouted. <br/>JERREY ROBERTS
  • Easthampton and Northampton firefighters work a fire at 88 Northampton Street in Easthampton Monday. Emergency vehicles blocked the street where it intersects with Groveland Street and traffic was rerouted. <br/>JERREY ROBERTS

EASTHAMPTON — Cooking oil on a stove ignited, resulting in a fire that caused an estimated $60,000 in damage to a two-family home at 88 Northampton St. on Monday night.

The resident of the second-floor apartment, who was not identified by Easthampton fire officials, escaped without injury and sought other living arrangements. The other apartment was vacant.

Firefighters responded about 9:49 p.m. and found heavy smoke coming from the attic, according to Easthampton Fire Capt. Kevin Benson. The fire in the kitchen was quickly extinguished.

There was smoke, heat and minor wire damage throughout the apartment, Benson said in a statement issued early Tuesday.

Northampton firefighters assisted at the scene. Southampton and Westhampton firefighters provided station coverage.

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.