Firefighters extinguish brush fire threatening three homes on Florence Road in Northampton
Brush fire behind 635 Florence Rd. in Northampton Monday afternoon. Purchase photo reprints »
NORTHAMPTON — Three homes on Florence Road narrowly escaped damage thanks to the quick work by Northampton and Easthampton firefighters who put out a large brush fire Monday around 12:30 p.m.
Northampton Deputy Fire Chief David Gagne said the cause of the fire was determined to be the improper disposal of fireplace ashes.
Northampton firefighters got a call about a brush fire near 635 Florence Road at 11:55 a.m. They responded with two fire engines and a brush truck and found a 100-by-100-foot area of brush engulfed.
“The fire was within five feet of the structures,” Northampton Deputy Fire Chief Christopher Norris said, but none was damaged.
Florence Road was closed from Route 66 to Burts Pit Road until 12:40 p.m.
“Brush fires aren’t too typical this time of year,” Norris said.
It is only legal to light fires to burn brush with a permit from Jan. 15 to May 1, he said.
Rebecca Everett can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.