Daily Hampshire Gazette - Established 1786
Hi 25° | Lo 4°

Fire ravages South Hadley home at 335 Granby Road

The blaze broke out shortly after 6 p.m. and was discovered by the homeowner who had just returned to his house and called authorities. Firefighters arrived to find smoke coming from the rear and main entry to the structure, South Hadley District 1 Fire Capt. Jim Pula said.

“It actually burned a hole in the floor from the basement to the living room,” Pula said of the blaze, which is under investigation by the state fire marshal’s office. Although no one was in the house during the fire, one civilian, whom firefighters declined to name, was transported from the scene to an area hospital for unspecified reasons. Property records show the ranch-style home is owned by John Halama.

Once in the home, Pula said firefighters found the living room ablaze and extensive heat and smoke damage throughout the house. He said firefighters extinguished the fire in about 10 minutes and ventilated the structure.

“We found it pretty quickly and got to it,” he said.

Firefighters were still on the scene as late as 10 p.m. investigating. The South Hadley District 2 Fire Department provided mutual aid during the incident.

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.