Daily Hampshire Gazette - Established 1786
P/cloudy
54°
P/cloudy
Hi 64° | Lo 38°

Kitchen blaze at Easthampton home causes estimated $35,000 to $40,000 in damage

Firefighters work to extinguish a kitchen fire Thursday night at 5 Arthur St. in Easthampton. The fire, which is believed to have started on a kitchen stove, caused an estimated $35,000 to $40,000 in damage.
JERREY ROBERTS

Firefighters work to extinguish a kitchen fire Thursday night at 5 Arthur St. in Easthampton. The fire, which is believed to have started on a kitchen stove, caused an estimated $35,000 to $40,000 in damage. JERREY ROBERTS Purchase photo reprints »

Fire Chief David Mottor said a police officer was the first to respond after the fire was called in at 9:37 p.m. The homeowner, a woman who was the only person in the house at the time, had escaped safely and reported a stove fire, Mottor said.

The officer retrieved an extinguisher from his cruiser and entered the house, but founds flames already spreading across the kitchen ceiling, Mottor said. Firefighters arrived moments later and had the blaze under control in about 15 minutes, the chief said.

The home is uninhabitable and the Red Cross is assisting the homeowner in finding a place to stay. Deed records list Alfred P. and Cynthia L. Chamberland as homeowners.

Ten Easthampton firefighters responded, with help from the Northampton and Southampton fire departments.

Perhaps a sign of the times, Mottor said he learned about the fire online before he was paged by dispatch. He said he happened to be browsing Facebook just as the group Hamp Scanner posted a notice about the fire at 9:45 p.m.

Comments
Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.