Lou & Lucy’s Leftovers: Summer’s end
All things come tumbling down. That’s the way I feel this time of year as summer starts to wind down. I think of all the projects I haven’t done, all the weeds I haven’t weeded, but most of all, the things I haven’t cooked.
Here are some of the items that I still want to make and some of the things I still want to do with the summer’s bounty before the frost is on the pumpkin.
1. Raspberry Pie. A rare treat. I made one once and found it to be the most amazing pie I ever had.
2. Blueberry Pie. Perhaps more common than raspberry pie but a summer must-do, nonetheless.
3. A big vat of ratatouille. With fresh local veggies. Juicy tomatoes, fresh plump eggplant, zucchini, crunchy almost sweet green peppers, onions and fresh herbs.
4. Freeze some local corn so I can pull it out in October when the air is cool and make a corn chowder like no other.
5. Just eat those little pickling cucumbers till they come out my ears.
6. Hope someone gives me a bunch of zucchini so I will have to make soup out of it.
7. Hope someone gives me some tomatoes so I will have to make sauce out of them.
8. Find some tiny French filet beans, so tender and delicious I would pay any price.
9. Get some fingerling potatoes. Or some other small fresh-dug variety that you just can’t get in the winter.
10. Find some fresh red and white shell beans and make them with a white sauce just like my mom used to do. I don’t see these beans very often, I don’t know why.
I guess I have a lot to do before the end of summer. The heck with the weeding. I’ve got cooking to do. And as I always say, there’s nothing wrong with my garden a good frost won’t cure!
1. I keep a running stack of recipes that I want to make and never get to them.
2. I know when the recipes are out of control because you can see paper sticking out from the slot next to my microwave.
3. Lots of great recipes
4. Lots of great culinary ambitions
5. Lots of wasted paper
6. Now I have to go steam some more corn on the cob.
7. Don’t need a recipe for that.
8. I numbered my sentences like your list even though they‘re not a list.
9. Because I like numbers.
10. What did the zero say to the 8?
11. Nice belt!