Daily Hampshire Gazette - Established 1786
Cloudy
61°
Cloudy
Hi 78° | Lo 51°

A Look Back 

200 Years Ago

∎ William Porter and Orlando Smith have entered into partnership under the firm of Porter & Smith, at the store lately occupied by Horace Wilcox & Co., where they offer for sale as extensive an assortment of goods as is to be found in most stores.

∎ Hezekiah Hutchens informs his friends and the public that he has just received a large and elegant assortment of cotton goods that are now ready for sale for cash and most kinds of produce, such as Ginghams, figured Chambrays, Stripes, Shirtings, Sheetings, and Tickings.

100 Years Ago

∎ Frank Pearl, the optician, has sold out his business. Mr. Pearl has no definite plans at present as to his future location. He received such an unexpectedly fine offer for his business he felt it was one he could not very well refuse.

∎ A small boy who gave his name as Adolph LaFond wandered away from his home in Easthampton yesterday afternoon and was found near Meadow Park. He was taken to the police office in this city and through the efforts of the Easthampton police his father was notified and came to this city to get him.

50 Years Ago

∎ Three hundred victims of fishin’ fever jumped the gun on the regular season last Sunday and found a measure of relief from their ailment at a fishing derby held at Brakey’s Pond in Easthampton. Others will receive treatment on Easter Sunday when the derby will be held again.

∎ The Holy Name Society of St. Mary’s Church will welcome the Rev. Lawrence Bernier, newly assigned assistant pastor for the parish, tomorrow night. Father Bernier will be presented to the group by the Rev. Robert Wagner, spiritual director of the society.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.