Daily Hampshire Gazette - Established 1786
Sunny
61°
Sunny
Hi 61° | Lo 40°

Smoking, oxygen caused fatal blaze in Westfield

The victim in the blaze Monday at the General Shepard Apartments was identified as Margaret Lunden. State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan said Wednesday that smoke alarms in the high-rise elderly housing building operated and there were no other injuries. Damage was limited to the victim’s first-floor unit and was estimated at $50,000.

Coan says there have been 12 fire deaths in Massachusetts so far in 2013, and half the victims have been over the age of 65.

Comments
Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.