Daily Hampshire Gazette - Established 1786
Hi 16° | Lo -9°

Chimney fire displaces Belchertown family

Fire Capt. John Workman said a preliminary estimate of the smoke, fire and water damage was around $60,000. The fire initially burned in the interior of the chimney but then burned the walls around the chimney, he said.

While it didn’t take firefighters very long to get the fire under control, Workman said crews were still on scene about two hours later ensuring that the fire was no longer smoldering in the walls or ceilings.

He said the Red Cross offered to help the family find housing, but they told firefighters they would stay with family.

According to town records, the home belongs to Francisco and Lori Alves.

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.