Daily Hampshire Gazette - Established 1786
Hi 16° | Lo -9°

Granby home damaged by woodstove fire

Granby Fire Chief Russell Anderson said the Nov. 28 blaze started near a first-floor woodstove located close to an electrical outlet. The home’s attic sustained the most damage and the structure is uninhabitable, Anderson said.

Damage was estimated at $20,000. No one was injured battling the blaze. Firefighters arrived about 6:36 p.m. and were on the scene for three hours.

Upon arrival, firefighters found heavy smoke and flames shooting from the roof, Anderson said. South Hadley Fire District 2 assisted with an engine and manpower at the scene.

Anderson said the blaze should serve as a reminder to homeowners who use wood stoves for heating to be “extra cautious” that their chimneys and stoves are clean and inspected and that only seasoned wood is used for burning.

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.