Second reactor at San Onofre to stay offline
LOS ANGELES — At least one of the two reactors at the San Onofre nuclear plant will remain offline through next summer, a senior Southern California Edison official said Thursday, while activists said both units should remain shuttered.
Eight months after the nuclear plant was powered down due to equipment problems, Edison has submitted a proposal to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission to restart one reactor — Unit 2 — and run it at reduced power.
But senior vice president and chief nuclear officer Pete Dietrich said Thursday that it would be “next summer at the earliest” before the company is ready to submit a plan for Unit 3, which has more severe problems.
Both units have shown extensive, unexpected wear in their steam generator tubes that carry radioactive water transferring heat from the reactor core to generate electricity. The newly replaced steam generators had been operating for less than one year in Unit 3 and less than two years in Unit 2 when the wear issues surfaced.
But Edison officials said the problems in Unit 2 are less severe because of slight differences in the manufacturing of support structures in the two units, which prevented tubes from vibrating excessively and knocking against each other to the extent they did in Unit 3.
Edison’s proposal to run Unit 2 at 70 percent power means that the plant would be generating about 800 megawatts of energy, instead of the 2,200 it provided before.
— Los Angeles Times
Google, publishers settle digitized books dispute
LOS ANGELES — Google and a group of U.S. publishers have reached an out-of-court settlement ending a seven-year dispute involving books digitized for the Google Library Project.
The agreement concludes a copyright infringement lawsuit that the publishers filed against Google in October 2005. The settlement reaffirms the rights of copyright holders and gives publishers the right to choose whether to make available or withhold books to be digitized by the Silicon Valley tech giant for its Library Project.
Both parties hailed the conclusion of the suit, although terms were not disclosed.
“By putting this litigation with the publishers behind us, we can stay focused on our core mission and work to increase the number of books available to educate, excite and entertain users,” said David Drummond, Google’s chief legal officer.
The publishers bringing suit were McGraw-Hill, Pearson Education and Penguin, John Wiley & Sons and Simon & Schuster.
As a result of the agreement, books scanned as part of Google’s digital library project can be included in Google Books, a specialized search that identifies books whose content matches a user’s query. Readers can browse up to 20 percent of the books before deciding whether to purchase digital versions through Google Play.
The agreement does not affect Google’s current litigation with the Authors Guild.
— Los Angeles Times