Yankee Candle founder Michael Kittredge hospitalized after stroke
Michael Kittredge II, 60, founder of the Yankee Candle Co., was hospitalized Tuesday after suffering a stroke.
LEVERETT — Michael Kittredge II, founder of Yankee Candle Co., has been hospitalized after suffering a stroke.
Kittredge, 60, was taken to a Boston area hospital Tuesday, according to the Facebook site of Kringle Candle Co., the Bernardston business started by his son, Michael Kittredge III.
The family does not yet wish to comment on his condition, according to Kringle spokesman Tim O’Brien.
The younger Kittredge started Kringle Candle in Bernardston in 2010, his father being a close adviser.
Kittredge founded Yankee Candle in 1969, at the age of 16. It began in his mother’s South Hadley kitchen, and grew to a multi-national corporation by the time Kittredge sold the company in 1998. He stayed on as the chairman of its board of directors until 2003.
Kringle’s Facebook site said Wednesday that Kittredge is in stable condition, after undergoing surgery to relieve pressure around his brain.
“The next step will be for Mike to begin the recovery process and we know that many, many people will be in his corner,” reads the site.
Family members ask that their privacy be respected as Kittredge recovers, though his son has promised to provide updates on his condition via Facebook.
Hundreds have commented on the Facebook posts, wishing Kittredge a speedy recovery, and offering their sympathy and prayers for his family.
The site may be reached at www.facebook.com/kringlecandle.