Daily Hampshire Gazette - Established 1786
Hi 47° | Lo 23°

UMass Sports

MAC Survivor Pool Week II

MID-AMERICA — No casualties in week one as everybody's bad teams beat worse to stay alive. Will Kent kill off a lot of the field this week? The Games: SATURDAY Buffalo at Penn St., Noon Miami (Ohio) at Wisconsin, Noon Bowling Green at Maryland, Noon UMass at Colorado, 2 Monmouth (NJ) at Cent. Michigan, 3 Murray St. at N. Illinois, 3:30 Toledo at Arkansas, 4 E. Michigan at Wyoming, 4 Delaware St. at Kent St., 6 W. Michigan at Georgia Southern, 6 Pittsburgh at Akron, 6 Ball St. at Texas A&M, 7 Marshall at Ohio, 7 The 0

DELETED SCENES - Leftover quotes from the Randall Jette story

Some quotes that didn’t make it into my Randall Jette story. Bold is me. Italics are quotes. Jette was proud that earning a scholarship helped his family as two of his sisters are in college as well. “I got a free education out of this. My mom was paying for my younger sister to go to Suffolk, which is $50,000. My little sister is a Westfield right now.” Jette has had three head coaches and went out of his way to thank the first and 0

UMass' Path to Bowl Eligibility

UMass needs six wins to be bowl eligible for the first time. Eligible doesn't equal an invitation as the MAC only has five certain bowl slots. but it's our starting point for now. Projected results Using ESPN's Football Power Index I'll look at the prognosis for each game. If ESPN gives UMass a 60 percent chance of winning of better, it'll be a W. 40 percent or less is an L. If it's 41-59, that's a ?. Since UMass hasn't played yet, the numbers are 0

Takeaways about UMass’ opponents after Week 1:

Colorado got the raw end of the bad ref call at the end of the game and might have had a chance to force overtime if the clock had been properly stopped. Ideally the Buffaloes wouldn’t have been trailing Hawaii, one of the few teams they beat last year anyway. I’m puzzled that UMass is a 16-point underdog. But there’s a good reason I don’t bet. Temple was a popular choice to be a breakout team, but I’m not sure anybody thought they’d not only 0

UMass next opponent: Colorado falls 28-20 at Hawaii

HONOLULU — Max Wittek threw three touchdown passes and Rigoberto Sanchez kicked a pair of field goals to lead Hawaii over Colorado 28-20 Thursday night. Wittek, who was making his first career start for the Rainbow Warriors (1-0), completed 19 of 38 passes for 202 yards. He also threw two interceptions. Marcus Kemp caught six passes for 116 yards with a score to lead all receivers. Quinton Pedroza and Isaiah Bernard also hauled in touchdown passes. Michael Adkins II rushed for a game-high 90 yards 0

UMass 2015-16 Men’s Basketball schedule

UMass released it's 2015-16 men's basketball schedule Thursday. The John Calipari jersey retirement will be Dec. 16 prior to UMass’ game vs. New Orleans Schedule below: November Saturday Nov. 14 vs. Howard (Mullins Center) Tuesday Nov. 17 at Harvard Thursday- Nov. 19 vs. Central Arkansas (Mullins Center) Monday - Nov. 23 vs. Clemson (MGM Grand Main Event - Las Vegas) Wednedsay Nov. 25 vs. Creighton/Rutgers (MGM Grand Main Event - Las Vegas) December Wed. Dec. 2 vs. BU (Mullins Center) Saturday - Dec. 5 vs. 0

Ranking the difficulty of UMass’ 12 games

This is a ranking from toughest to easiest on the UMass’ 2105 football schedule. It’s not necessarily a ranking of who is the most talented teams the Minutemen play, although that’s a huge component, but location and timing factor in as well. Tier 1 — If UMass wins there will be a bronze plaque commemorating the win 1. Notre Dame — The Irish are ranked No. 11 in both polls. They are by far UMass’ toughest opponent. Tier 2 — The Minutemen enter as underdogs, 0

MAC Survivor Pool - Week I

MID-AMERICA — After the success of last year’s MAC Survivor Pool, we’re back again for year two with some new players as we’re adding a some other MAC Media. The rules are similar to NFL survivor pools, just with only MAC teams. Each player picks one team to win each week. Once he’s used a team he can’t use them again. If your team wins you survive. Lose and you drop into the zombie pool, which follows the same picking rules, but keeps track of 0

UMass football to play at South Carolina in 2016

AMHERST — UMass completed its 2016 schedule with the expected Championship Subdivision foe as well as an unexpected Southeastern Conference addition. UMass will play at South Carolina on Oct. 22, 2016. In order to play the game, the Minutemen needed to move their game with Appalachian State from 2016 to 2020. The Gamecocks are paying the Minutemen $1.5 million, according to athletic director Ryan Bamford. The fee is the most UMass has received to play any game. To compensate App State for moving the game, 0

Jackson Porter moves to wide receiver for UMass

AMHERST — After spending the start of camp competing to start at corner, UMass sophomore Jackson Porter is now a wide receiver. The 6-foot-1, 198-pound sophomore had 41 tackles and two interceptions as a redshirt freshman last year. “He’s had a couple real good days (at receiver),” UMass coach Mark Whipple said. “He’s fast, he can run, he can catch the ball. He’s one of our best athletes.” Senior UAB transfer Kelton Brackett will start at cornerback and JUCO transfer Jordin Hamilton and freshmen Brandon 0