WMass D3/D3A Hockey Top 10
RECORDS THROUGH SUNDAY
1. Agawam (5-0, last week: 2) - The Brownies scored a late goal to beat Westfield 1-0 Thursday night. Setup for a letdown, right? No, over the weekend they beat South Hadley 6-0 and West Springfield 9-1.
2. Westfield (2-1, last week: 1) - The Bombers may not be as strong as the last two years, but it's hardly as if Agawam blew them out. It should be a great back-and-forth all season between the two squads.
3. Greenfield (3-0-2, last week: 5) - Winners of the Rabbit Graves Tournament over the weekend, the Green Wave is riding high thus far. This squad doesn't appear to have any real weaknesses.
4. Minnechaug (2-0-2, last week: 7) - The Falcons have already matched their win total of a year ago. Over the weekend, they went east and won the Grafton Holiday Tournament.
5. Longmeadow (3-2, last week: NR) - After an inconsistent first week-plus to the season, the Lancers had a strong week, shutting out South Hadley and nipping Auburn 2-1. Goalie Omar Natour is opening eyes with his strong play.
6. South Hadley (1-3-1, last week: 3) - It's been a long time since the Tigers were shut out in consecutive games, like they were Thursday and Saturday. The bright spot so far has been the play of goalie Devin Hoagland.
7. Easthampton (2-1, last week: 6) - Just like last season, the Eagles lost early in the year to Belchertown. But this year Belchertown looks to be a playoff contender. The Eagles have a pretty packed January schedule.
8. Ludlow (3-1-1, last week: NR) - Winners of three straight, the Lions have scored 23 goals in that span. They limited powerhouse Agawam to just two goals in their only loss thus far.
9. Chicopee (4-2, last week: 8) - The Pacers are currently on a four-game winning streak. One of those victories, 2-1 over Taconic, was their only low-scoring contest so far.
10. Belchertown (3-3-1, last week: 10) - Last season, the Orioles allowed a tough start to spiral out of control. Thus far this year, they've been able to immediately bounce back after losses.