Daily Hampshire Gazette - Established 1786
Sunny
64°
Sunny
Hi 64° | Lo 44°

Ask a cook: Cleaning mushrooms

Close-up of a raw mushrooms

Close-up of a raw mushrooms Purchase photo reprints »

Question: In a recent column on cutting lettuce, you mentioned that we don’t have to wipe mushrooms one by one. Could you elaborate? I thought we weren’t supposed to put mushrooms in water.

Answer: The old kitchen legend that mushrooms absorb water has been disproven. Yes, if you put them in a bowl of water for hours, they’d probably get waterlogged, but so will anything else.

Tests generally show that mushrooms are no more likely to absorb water than any other vegetable.

There’s no reason you can’t wash mushrooms under running water and then toss them or pat them dry.

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.