Lexington man faces attempted murder charge after alleged attack on foster brother, ex-girlfriend in Old Deerfield

Last modified: Saturday, August 23, 2014
A Lexington man remained in jail Friday evening awaiting trial on charges of assaulting his former girlfriend and his foster brother, despite having his bail set far lower than prosecutors requested.

David Whaland, 32, , has been charged with attempted murder, five counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, two counts of assault to maim, two counts of assault and battery and one count of malicious damage to a motor vehicle, according to court documents.

Police arrested Whaland Monday after he allegedly attacked his foster brother and ex-girlfriend with a 2-by-4 in Old Deerfield, causing the man to be sent to the hospital, according to court records.

Whaland was in Greenfield District Court on Friday morning, where prosecutors asked that bail be set at $100,000 cash because of his long, violent criminal history and an active warrant from Lowell District Court. Whaland’s attorney, however, argued that the incident was a case of self defense.

Whaland’s bail was set at $1,000 cash plus $10,000 surety. He was ordered to have no contact with the alleged victims and to stay away from their Turners Falls apartment.

The charges result from an incident that police say began at 1:50 a.m., on Aug. 9, when Whaland was at Main Street Bar and Grille in Greenfield with his foster brother, Christopher Chicoine, 33, of 140 L St., Apt. B, Turners Falls, and Chicoine’s girlfriend, Lindsay Wan, 27, of the same address and another man. Wan is also Whaland’s ex-girlfriend.

Whaland got into an argument at the bar with a staff member. When Chicoine tried to de-escalate the situation, Whaland punched him in the nose, police allege. The two men began scuffling on the ground and Whaland bit Chicoine in the left biceps, according to police.

After the fight, Chicoine went to 6 Keets Road in Deerfield with his girlfriend to drop the third man off at his home.

According to police, Whaland followed them to Keets Road, where, after an argument with Wan over an mp3 player, he grabbed a piece of lumber and hit Wan on her left wrist after lunging toward her. When he went to strike Wan a second time, Chicoine stepped in the way and Whaland subsequently smashed him with the wood and attempted to gouge his eyes out with his thumbs, police reported. Police allege Whaland also smashed the windshield of Wan’s car and dented the hood.

Chicoine was later taken to Baystate Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield, where police observed bruises across his body, cuts and swollen eyes.

Deerfield Police issued an arrest warrant Aug. 10 for Whaland, who turned himself in on Monday.

A bind-over hearing is scheduled for Sept. 24, when it will be determined whether the case should be turned over to Superior Court.