Glendale Street in Easthampton closed during the daytime through Friday for excavation

Last modified: Tuesday, July 22, 2014
EASTHAMPTON — A section of Glendale Street will be closed between 6 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. through Friday as work continues on the state project to reconstruct the intersections of Glendale and West streets and Loudville and Pomeroy Meadow roads.

Police Chief Bruce W. McMahon said in an email to state Department of Transportation officials that he decided Tuesday morning to close the road between South Street and the intersection under construction as workers are excavating Glendale Street.

“This will enable the work crew to conduct operations without endangering the safety of those traveling the street,” he said in the email.

Traffic will be detoured around the intersection via West Street, which connects with Route 10 just under a mile north of where Glendale Street does.

At various times throughout the construction project, Glendale and West streets and Loudville Road have been reduced to one lane, but road closures have been infrequent.

A Pereira Construction Co. of Ludlow began work on the $2.6 million state Department of Transportation project in November. It is expected to complete by spring 2015.

The purpose of the work is to increase visibility and safety at the intersection which has been the site of many accidents over the years. It involves realigning the streets so they meet more squarely and lowering the top of the hill on Loudville Road to increase visibility.

Federal Transportation Improvement Program funds will cover 80 percent of project costs and the other 20 percent will be paid by the state.

Rebecca Everett can be reached at reverett@gazettenet.com.